Monday 9 April 2012

Dawn Exercise


It's supposed to be healthy and good for you. And I actually do like the dawn atmosphere when I manage to rouse myself from a warm bed. And just like doing Tai-Chi, it's a good idea. I get it. But somehow I just can't get around to actually doing it... 

However, in order to photograph these good people in Malaysia, I did manage to get up and out. And I'm glad I did. Fortunately they carried on in the cool of the morning and ignored me wandering around them. If I was disturbing their concentration (which I probably was of course) they politely didn't let on. Inner calm, see. 

Shooting in the dim light of dawn is a little tricky. Using the Leica M9 and 35mm Summicron, the camera was happily almost inaudible and didn't annoy them as much as say a big SLR might. As these folks were moving and it was still fairly dark, I had to use a higher iso of 400asa. Shooting wide open at f2 this combination gave me a shutter speed of 1/350th and was enough to capture the movement. I do like the look of concentration on this woman's face and especially the way the dawn light is halo-lighting her fingers like some form of etherial glow.


In the afternoons the heat is oppressive and, in the absense of any a/c, there is nothing much to do but endure. This family just about summed it up! Shooting hand-held in available light, M9 + 35mm Summicron at 400asa 1/64th second at f2, I just love the drained floppiness of everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

That's It Folks!

  The gate is now shut. With no one around, it's time to turn off the lights and leave. It's been fun and maybe one day someone will...