Thursday 15 September 2011

Angkor Wat


Next month I'll be exploring this place, a real honest-to-God lost city. Most of it is still hidden by jungle but what is visible, vegetation and trees have blended with the stone in a surreal embrace. I doubt I'll get any particularly original pictures as it's been photographed almost to death, but you never know, I might find a guide to show me places more off the beaten track. Cambodia has had an awful recent past, what with the genocide by the Khmer Rouge in the seventies, lets hope all that is behind them and that the dreaded work 'Angka' (organization) only refers to ancient monuments ... The film The Killing Fields remains just as powerful a film as it did when it first came out. 


2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic trip to come! Yeah get a good guide to discover the most amazing side of the places... oh I'm jealous, so much Adventure! (security regulations: "while getting lashes or electrification you must not cry at all" (one among all the others)... ARGG, human nature can be so scary and pervert....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, should be fun, I'm already in the process of arranging a guide!
    Back then, such terrible political philosophy, awful times ...

    ReplyDelete

That's It Folks!

  The gate is now shut. With no one around, it's time to turn off the lights and leave. It's been fun and maybe one day someone will...