Sunday 16 April 2023

St John's Wood, New vs Old.

 


Opened in 1939 and still in its original form and now listed. This classic London tube design with its upright lighting pods remains visually powerful and iconic. I wonder if the new stations recently opened will stay in their original form for as long. The new stations are functional, homogeneous and I suspect built to a price point that precluded any individual design flourishes. I also don't much like the new modern LCD screens that have replaced simple posters as shown here along the walls. Posters don't break down and can easily be replaced. Progress? 

By contrast, here is one of the new Elizabeth Line stations. Clean, modern and impersonal perhaps. But it has its own charm I think. Maybe I should have waited for at least one person to be in the shot? No, I think not. I don't think humans were really designed for such places.





No comments:

Post a Comment

That's It Folks!

  The gate is now shut. With no one around, it's time to turn off the lights and leave. It's been fun and maybe one day someone will...