Wednesday 16 May 2012

Snapshooting




Inspired by the thought and freedom of doing some shooting without technical fore-thought or input, I took my camera with me and stuck it on auto, set it to jpeg - and went for more shutter therapy today. However, I do have to fit in any photography with work, and that means I cannot search out or wait for something - it has to happen right in front of me. And, not living in a busy metropolis, there is actually precious little going on to photograph. People especially, are thin on the ground. And because of that, you/me, as the photographer, are highly visible. And I had the wrong camera for the job. The Nikon D90 with its zoom lens is a camera with a big neon sign shouting out its presence. I felt like a flasher opening his coat. Shock. Horror. 

This market picture is a classic example. As soon as I brought up the camera to my eye, some distance away actually from the shot above, the stall holder spotted me. A little banter started up between us as he held up a bag to cover his face then dived below some boxes while I walked around taking a few general shots. I made it clear I wasn't shooting him particularly, so I carried on. You can see the woman customer is laughing as the guy kept his back towards me at all times. I told him it was ok, I was only from Customs & Excise ...

The postie however never saw the camera. A huge truck had parked in a very small lane and, after I had squeezed through the gap myself I turned around and fired off this shot as he went on his way.  I don't know why I like this  little unimportant snapshot of everyday life, but I do. Inconsiderate truckers and a postie on his little bike making sure the mail gets through, perhaps. Or mega-industry pitched against a man on his bike.


Someone has gone to some trouble taping this little flag to their radio aerial. I can't imagine any real reason for it to be there. We haven't won anything. And it's a bit of a bodge job if you ask me. So what is it? A symbol of national pride? Or an indication of what this country is best at; that tape and a bit of sticking plaster fixes everything. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

That's It Folks!

  The gate is now shut. With no one around, it's time to turn off the lights and leave. It's been fun and maybe one day someone will...