Wednesday 21 March 2012

Psychic Readings



I have absolutely no faith in psychic readings. Do they have validity? Well, I think I'm asking the wrong question. To my mind, it doesn't really matter as long as the believer, believes. And if the psychic believes, so much the better. 

The lady on the right is in fact, a relative of mine. The woman on the left I don't know, but comes from the local village and asked for her advice on something personal I guess. All this happens inside her home which is usually full of children and adults milling around chatting and drinking. There's no formality, this is all done on a very personal basis and I found it a rare privilege to be allowed to witness what happened. 

So it was these two women began an astonishingly intense conversation and allowed me to photograph them. Once in a trance she becomes another being, evidenced by her cigarette smoking.  (She is a non-smoker). The session lasted about ten minutes and I have no doubt she is genuine, and certainly no one who knows her, doubts her abilities. 

Taken in a small town in Malaysia.
Leica M9 + 35mm Summicron 

2 comments:

  1. Well done in visual and written storytelling, Peter. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete

That's It Folks!

  The gate is now shut. With no one around, it's time to turn off the lights and leave. It's been fun and maybe one day someone will...