Friday 20 January 2012

The Devils


Has art ever disturbed you? It has me ... I remember watching this film (The Devils) as a twenty year old rather naive young man and being  incredibly disturbed afterwards. I was still Catholic in my outlook, despite walking away from the faith three years previously. This film shattered everything cosy about religion I might still have felt, but hadn't really thought much about. I think the film is still banned, and many versions that are available, are still heavily edited and censored. I don't know how much I didn't see, but what I did, rocked me on my heels. 



Other films that left me shook up emotionally as a young man were Through a Glass Darkly which showed intense emotion and hidden depths I'd never imagined previously, just as on a more gut level,  Deliverance and Straw Dogs. But for sheer power, The Devils really gave me nightmares ...






No comments:

Post a Comment

That's It Folks!

  The gate is now shut. With no one around, it's time to turn off the lights and leave. It's been fun and maybe one day someone will...